Tuesday, April 14, 2009

welcome back, Marya!

Marya Jansen-Gruber is my guest blogger today. You may remember that every fifteenth of the month, she'll post her thoughts and experiences of what it's like for her to be a children's writer. To visit her blog, please go to: http://lookingglassreview.blogspot.com/

(Thank you, Marya!)

When I last wrote to you, I was just beginning to get used to my new job as a book writer. Up until just a few weeks ago, I was a reviewer and blogger. Now I am a writer as well, and this new writing work has added a dimension to my life that is both challenging and interesting.

For one thing, I have had to learn how to manage my time better. I cannot write stories and publish an online book review magazine if I footle away my time. It is very easy to footle if you are not careful.

To be able to have time to write, I have had to cut back on the number of books I review. This has been hard because I want to review them all. Now I have to be more selective; I have had numerous sessions on my office floor looking through piles of books, moving books from one pile to another, and reluctantly setting aside a few titles that I just don’t have the time for. At these times, I wish I had a clone. Then I would be able to write as much as I want and review as much as I want. Sigh.

Another thing that I have noticed is that I look for story ideas and character insights all over the place. Something happens to my daughter or one of her friends and I often think “Aha, now that could make a good story.” I also write in my head more than ever before. I plot out scenes and have ‘conversations’ with characters. I even get up in the middle of the night to make notes. It is very all consuming.

Next time: Will my stories be online yet?
-Marya

No comments: